Re: [oc] Interested in helping out

Victor the Cleaner wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 06:22:37PM -0800, Andrew Martens wrote:

> > For a while I was toying with the idea of making a Motorola 68k-compatible
> > core, although there's a few issues I have yet to look into:  whether (a)
> > Mot would be really hostile to the idea (as ARM appears to be), (b) whether
> > there would be any demand for such a core, and (c) the approximate number of
> > gates required.  One of the key reasons for doing a 68k core is that I've
> > got a lovely set of 68k manuals that Motorola gave me, and because they seem
> > to be used all over the place.
> >
> > If people are really keen on a 68k-compatible core, I'll investigate it
> > further and possibly even come up with a development plan.  "Keen" meaning
> > "Someone should speak up if they think it's a good idea, and let me know if
> > it's a bad idea."  If not, I'd be happy to jump on board any other OpenCores
> > project that needs additional manpower (assuming I manage to pick up the
> > software I need).
>
> Hell, *YES* there should be a 68K.  That and an MMU will get us very close the
> point at which NetBSD can be easily ported, giving us a mature, trustworthy OS
> instead of the penguix that's been discussed thus far.
>
> Jonathan

This would be extremely interesting. 680x0 is nice piece of hardware, but there
are
bits and pieces that would be much nicer if one could tweak or change...
But I wonder if MC would stay cool at the fact that something else uses 68K ISA
without
someone paying royalties for that...
Who shall be contacted for that matter?
I was trying to get from MC microsequences of al instructions (I mean not only the
time it takes
to get whole instruction executed, but also times and sequences of all internal
operations or at least
share visible on the bus-like operand fetches, idle times on bus during internal
ops. etc.) and after
many inquiries I have received an simple answer that " 68000 sequence
microinstructions like one should expect- but  with
a few exceptions"....

Regards,

Branko