Language war, was Re: [oc] Verilog coding style ...

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Nicolas Boulay wrote:

> Le Mercredi 21 Mai 2003 08:43, Joachim Strömbergson a écrit :
>
> > This all means that VHDL does not have industry support, neither from the
> > major users and the major vendors. That's why Verilog is dominant and will
> > continue to be.
>
> Yes and no.
> In europe, Infineon (siemens) and ST Microelectronics use VHDL, that's not
> small compagnies !

Add Alcatel(Stuttgart, Milano, Brussels), Thales, Nokia(Bochum), Philips,
maybe Lucent and LSI in UK, part of Nortel in UK (ok, Nortel is more
a Verilog shop, but not exclusively) and so on...

I think the usage is more related to installed base, legacy, etc.

About legacy: nobody will dare to question that PAL is better than NTSC.
But, US is still NTSC, mainly because you cannot persuade people in US to
change 200 million TV sets.

Yes, I'm biased towards VHDL, but I have nothing against Verilog,
there are just some languages (both with ups and downs) to describe
gates and flops. I'd like to see a language with the good parts of VHDL
and Verilog. I think a good engineer must know both.

Anyway, I think this whole discussion is pointless, waste of bandwidth, it
has been discussed so many times without any result.

Cheers,
  Andras