OT: Textbook Anecdote (was Re: [oc] Verilog coding style for Open Cores-RTL - Case in point SHA1)

> Something I never understood. ...

When I went to Uni, there was a lecturer who was famous for this.
He gathered all the first years in the lab and sold us one of the crappiest
books in the history of electrical engineering.  Of course we did
not discover this until we actually had to later read it (but it was
compulsory for the course anyway).  It turns the uninitiated first
years were the only students who didn't know it was a crap book.

Years later if I run into anyone who went through the same University
a few years either side of me, they all know exactly what you are
talking about when you mention 'the book'.  The standing joke
was that students would go around telling each other that you would
get a free set of steak knives if you bought the textbook
(in homage to those fast talking salesmen on late night television).

We got our revenge though.  In our year book, a bad photo of the
lecturer was published, with the caption "Would you buy a used
car from this man?"  Since the yearbook was released during the last
week of Uni (ever), we were out of reach by the time it was read.
I gather the leacturer wasn't impressed while others in the
faculty were quite amused!

Regards
John