Re: [oc] Inquiry

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 13:03, Marko Mlinar wrote:

> Rudi,
>
> I completely agree with you. Besides, I think this aspect is much more
> important than just license. I think a company will find a way to contact
> author and get his/her approval, if they think it is worth it.
>
> Actually I just got an idea, which is by my opinion worth implementing:
> why not add 'core quality votes'. Each registered user can vote only once for
> each project. If project seems of good enough quality, that he/she would use
> it (or have already used it), he/she can add vote to it.
> Maybe we can add several counters:
> 1. the idea is good
> 2. one for looks like a good quality core, and
> 3. have tried it and it works

I'm not sure if that will work or if that is what we really want.
This kind of voting will be based on objective opinions of people
who browse through the cores. These might give a wrong impression
about a core (both directions) due to the lack of understanding.

I can also see somebody asking his buddies to vote for his core
and delude the true opinion.

What might be a better way to measure the quality of an IP core,
is to list the number of real implementations it has seen. This
type of information should be easily obtained from real users and
verifiable as well. For example the Voxi success story is a good
reference for a hand full of IPs from OC. I believe the OR1K also
has seen a few other implementations as well.

> Eventually cores that are more popular and are of better quality will gain
> more votes than others.

I don't think popularity will necessarily reflect quality. I think
a core like the UART will be more popular than the AC97 controller,
just because there are more applications and users of an UART than
of the AC97. This does not say anything about the quality of either
core. However, a chart of the "popularity" would show the UART
somewhere on the top and the AC97 on the bottom.

> Perhaps this can help giving an impression that cores are really useful and
> used in projects every day.
>
> Marko

Quite honestly I think it will be tough to find a good solution
as any type of judging will be objective and we really want to
make it based on facts and not feelings !

Best Regards,
rudi