Re: Proposal to fix spamming (was Re: [oc] NEED NOTES)

Hi Marko,

> But I see small drawback here - each newby will probably need to send
> first email twice.

Not if they are subscribed.

> Also another idea: what if we change the behaviour of 3) -- instead
> of reply it gets moderated -- this would require moderators to read current
> traffic.

This could lead to multiple postings.  A user sends mail from a
temporary address, then realises they fogot the '[oc]' string.
They then resend to avoid the delay of moderation.  The moderator
then has the additional job of eliminating duplicates.

I would have to disagree with having ANY form of moderation.
In my view, moderation requires substantial resources that the group just
does not have.  It also leads to potential delays in list traffic.
In extreme cases, it could also lead to disagreements over
moderation policy.

> There is also nice benefit of your suggestion -- newbies would read
> the FAQ, or at least be aware there is one :)

Didn't think of that one.  Yes, it would be an advantage.

Best wishes
John