Re: [oc] SourceForge?

I'm not the webmaster, so I can't speak from direct experience.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out the use of SourceForge type software
in the future.  All that is lacking is someone with the will to do it
(volunteers?).
I don't think the project has yet reached the size where it is a necessity.

The two main reservations I would have to using SourceForge itself are:

1) I'm wary of the infant free hardware stuff getting lost in the deluge
of open source software.  Foundries may be a partial solution to this?

2) Also (maybe slightly paranoid), with the current turbulance
on the Internet, I'm wary of putting too many resources under one
umbrella.  It appears that the software running SourceForge is not free
and running a local version of SourceForge costs money. To my
knowledge, mirroring is not possible (please correct me if I am wrong).

If it is possible, my preference would be for copies to be kept on
both opencores and SourceForge (or any other number of sites).
Checkins to any one site would be automatically mirrored to all
other sites.  At the same time, we would have to avoid fragmenting
any web based discussion forums.

Having said this bug tracking and other such things would be nice to have.
Perhaps we should look into using some of Debian's software (which is free)?

My comments about 'tubulance' can also be applied to opencores itself.
Perhaps we should be actively trying to get more mirrors set up? If there
are any Australian academics out there, could they request a mirror on
mirror.aarnet.edu.au?  Can we arrange to have the contents of CVS
automatically checked into SourceForge each night, simply as a backup?

Comments?

John