[oc] Verification Initiative

Hi all,

I've been talking with Damjan recently about starting a verification parallel for the opencores initative.  The verification effort would concentrate on packages and methodologies for functional verification, developing bus functional models for commercial (and ofcourse opencore) components which would help in the verifiation of these components and also make it easier to integrate these components into products.
The goal of the effort is quite different from the opencores aim in that we will never produce any actual hardware.  That introduces some very important differences which are the reasons i think this effort should be distinct.
First of all there is the language use.  The verification can be implmented using the full language suite and uses different coding styles.  Then there is the licensing issues.  the verification code is never used in the final product so the licensing issues which surround opencores don't apply to verification.  Finally i think it's important that the projects and teams are not too closely linked.  We shouldn't always be working on the same things.

Any thoughts, comments, worries or questions?

I think this is a worthwhile effort.  Many academic projects around the world develop models which could be collected and controlled.

Andrew.