Re: [oc] Automatic Core Metrics and Documentation

On Monday 12 May 2003 06:48 am, Miha Lampret wrote:
> I agree with Tom that Wiki is not suitable for OC because it is
> impossible to have general look for all projects.
>
> XML would be great for project documents but I am not sure if
> editing of project pages as XML documents would be easy enough for
> developers. Probably we need a tool/editor. In my opinion web
> editing is still best solution because it only requires browser and
> can be done from home, office or anywhere.

The key is to keep the XML as simple as possible.  If the DTD is clear
and consise, no one should have a problem adding content to the
initial project template.

I agree with you that web editing is the best solution.  How about
editing the project XML through a form?  Once a project maintainer
hits submit, the OC validates and reports any problems back to the
user.  Only the last valid project.xml in cvs is used.

> From view of web
> developer the problem of XML documents is that searching through
> them is very slow in comparison with SQL database. For example.. on
> the first OC page there is a scetion called 'Last updated'. If I
> want to display it dinamically I have to load XML document of each
> project and check LastUpdated tag. Of course this can be done by
> task running from cron but souch things makes development and
> maintaince of OC web complicated.

Why not use the XML to populate the SQL database?  When a project
maintainer submits a valid project.xml, then OC populates the
database with the new information.  This only has to happen once;
after that you have the speed of SQL.

-Tom

--
Tom Hawkins