Re: [oc] Automatic Core Metrics and Documentation

On Thursday 08 May 2003 05:09 am, Tom Hawkins wrote:
> This is a great idea and I think it could be, at least at some extent,
> automated.

Yes, once you get going, there is so many things one can do. The problem,as
always, is how to get started.

> I think XML based docs are important.  It would help enforce a common
> standard, so all docs look and feel the same.  Plus, you wouldn't
> have to waste time with formatting and layout.  We could take it so
> far as to specify tags to automatically draw waveforms, and maybe
> even block diagrams.

Regarding documentation, I would recommend DocBook format, as it is a proven
format for technical documention, and there are plenty of tools surrounding
it in the OSS arena, incl (RUDI!) OpenOffice can export to it directly (so I
have read but not tested).

Apache Cocoon is about web publishing, and Apache Forrest is a application of
Cocoon, that does complete skinned websites from mainly DocBook documents,
including PDF generation and much more. I can help out to set all of that up,
it is not that hard once you have done it. But where is the infrastructure? I
don't think my own servers are suitable, since they are subjected to a fair
amount of downtime, and access speed is not that great (high latency).

Another novel concept that seems to work very well is Wiki. Wiki allows ANY
user to modify a web page, or add new ones, without any special access
rights. Since it is backed by CVS, if a vandal comes by, you just unwind the
CVS to before the "attack". And hackers like the challange, not the damage.

Niclas