Re: [oc] Inquiry

Thank you for not making me mad again... ;o)

To cut it short, I snip out the "philosophical opposing attitudes", you are in
FSF camp, and I am in Apache camp, and I leave it at that.

On Thursday 08 May 2003 08:54 am, cyrano@nerim.net wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> a écrit :
> > Also, it doesn't say that all code I develop I have to send back to
> > Microsoft,
>
> Neither GPL. GPL imply code back to the custmers when you modify existing
> code.

I don't understand how you can say this, since you later say;
> (if
> you find glib a nice library and avoid reinventing the wheel you must write
> GPL code)

And "GPL code" means revealing all source.

> > > Funny. You use Apache, some piece of work that could cost you billions
> > > to develop but you find anormal to help the project a little.
> >
> > Not only can you not read, you don't know math either. Tomcat, for
> > instance,
> >
> > doesn't cost billions to develop. You are off by several magnitudes.
>
> I speak about the estimated cost of linux by common economical methode
> published some years ago.

Excuse me. Again, READ. "You use APACHE, some piece that could cost you
billions...". Apache has not developed Linux.

> Websphere is opens source. It's a bunch of software. I can't find quickly a
> global licence.

??? Websphere Application Server costs somewhere around USD30k per license (I
think it is per CPU, but could be wrong).
You are probably meaning the Eclipse project, on which the Websphere IDE
(don't remember the brand name) is based on. http://www.eclipse.org
Big difference.

> > Commercial developers, like myself, will not survive on love alone.
> > Everyone,
> > Linus included, needs to generate income, one way or the other.
>
> ? Linus did not live of linux. Other majors linux developpers work for
> various compagny, like Red Hat, Suse, IBM,... They live for there
> experties.

Ok, let's get this straight. Whatever Linus is doing right now (probably still
at Transmeta), he wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for the success of Linux.
What we consider Linux is 10% or less Linux, and 90% or more GNU.
Most resources at RH, Suse, IBM and other supporting companies of Linux, are
working on GNU codebase, not Linux which is "only" a kernel.

> No that's freedom. True one. Don't you blame you're gouvernement not to
> have the liberty of killing your annoying neighbourg ? That's a
> philosophical point. To enhance liberty of every one, you must restrict it
> a little bit. (forbiden to kill to have the right to live)

;o)  I am from Sweden, and Liberty was lost a bit more the 1000 years ago,
when you were no longer allowed to kill "Women and Children", "People going
to, In or returning from church" and "People at home". Tough laws ;o)

Seriously. I think there are a LOT of splendid OSS code out there. Only a
small fraction of it, gets the attention a la Linux et al. I also believe
that out of that "unknown sea of gold nuggets", the author would be more
happy that someone USE it, instead of turning their back on it, because the
license is not to the User's taste (let's call it that).

Niclas