Re: [oc] License issue about instset compatibility

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:04:23 +0100
Fabrizio Fazzino <fabrizio@fazzino.it> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I have a simple (for you) question about instruction
> sets and licensing issues: I would like to implement
> with SystemC a CPU core compatibile with an existing
> one (let's say Hitachi SH-3); do I risk anything by
> releasing it into the Open Source?
>
> I'm expecting one from three possible answers:
> 1) yes, of course you can! (Yahoo!)
> 2) NO, of course you CAN'T!!! (booo)
> 3) it depends whether or not the instruction set
>    is covered by a patent. (mumble...)

3) ! Like ARM does...

> About the "mumble..." answer, I've checked for the
> SH-3 using web patent search engines but I didn't
> find anything.

mmmh. It's not enought.

> Another interesting core would be Java: I've read
> Holger Baxmann talking about "J2EE on a FPGA".
> I would like to start thinking about J2ME, but
> I don't feel Sun will be so happy to hear about
> it.

I think the opposite. Sun refuse a standard commity because they were
afraid of microsoft power. But such Java processor have been tryed
already without to much success ! I have heard about co-processors to
accelerate byte code. Why not one for openrisc ?

nicO