Re: [oc] commodore 64 on one chip ?

On Thursday 21 March 2002 14:32, Matts wrote:
> Would that be possible ? To implement everything in a commodore64 on
> one FPGA ?

Yes, it would be possible. Easy, in fact, given the kind of information
available on the web and in the sources of the software emulators for
this machine.

Putting the whole Commodore 64 on one chip would require an FPGA with
at least 512 Kbits of RAM and those are very expensive. And it would
also be a waste since these chips have much more logic than I think you
will need. A better option would be to use a much smaller FPGA and
external RAM chips.

> Is anyone else interested in such unneccesary thing ?

It would be very fun to make the 6502 core run at 50 MHz or more but I
doubt that many C64 programs will run except at the original speed. An
Apple II implementation might be more interesting since business
programs such as AppleWorks are more likely to run at high speeds. But
this is just a guess.

-- Jecel