Re: [oc] New License update

With regard to an appropriate license agreement for chips I think we need
to recognize that there are fundamental differences between chips and
software.

1. There are no open chip fabs - Most fab design rules are proprietary and
require signing a non-disclosure agreement.

2. There are no open small geometry cell libraries - While some libraries
have been built, none are available for advanced semiconductor processes.

3. It is expensive to build chips - Even a multiproject fab is going to
cost $10k. If we want to see chips containing open hardware IP then we need
to respect commercial interests.

4. Chip developers can assert mask rights in addition to other intellectual
property rights.

5. Patents are much more prevalent in hardware design than software.

Joe Zott
VP Engineering
The iTv Corporation