Re: [oc] serial multiplier

   You should be able to acheive better speeds, at least with
the Xilinx parts (what part are you targeting? 60MHz doesn't
mean a lot without identifying device family and speed grade).
To acheive better speed, you may have to resort to structural
coding styles, which would vary according to the
device family being targeted. I don't recall seeing much
discussion of coding style in OC, and the possibility of different
coding styles for different target devices, not to mention
different styles for different synthesis tools..

  If you stay with the idea of scaling accumulation, you can halve
the number of clock cycles by using the 'computed partial product'
technique that Ray describes further on in the same page. This
processes 2 bits of the multiplier at a time.

   To get down to one clock cycle/operand pair, it is necessary to
'unroll the loop', i.e., use many adders instead of a single accumulator,
and pipeline everything. In the Xilinx Virtex parts, this pipelining is
not very expensive, as the LUT RAM can be configured as a shift
register to hold multiplier bits until they are required at the adder
in which they are used. Multiplicand bits get shifted to follow
the partial product as it accumulates through the array.
All these techniques illustrate the common speed vs. area trade-off.

Jamil Khatib wrote:

> I implemented the scaling accumulator that is described in
>  http://users.ids.net/~randraka/multipli.htm
>
> I want to ask you how can increase its speed because teh best frequency
> I reached with the best altera and Xilinx FPGAs is 60MHz for 8 bit
> mulitplier that executes serially which meens 60MHz / 8  throughput that
> is too low
>
> Do you have any comments?
>
> The code is available at
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/6639/ip/arit.html
>
> Thanks
> Jamil Khatib

> http://im.yahoo.com
begin:vcard
n:Smith;John L.
tel;work:858-320-4102
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.visicom.com
org:Visicom;Imaging Products
adr:;;10052 Mesa Ridge Court;San Diego;CA;92121;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jsmith@visicom.com
title:Principal Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;30864