Re: [oc] Developer

Hi David!,

AAL stands for ATM Adaption Layer. The x stands for digits from 0 to 5,
and describes diverent flavors of AALs. The most popular is AAL5 which
is thought as the glue between legacy data networks and ATM. E.g. is the
AAL for unspecified - and available bit rate services (UBR and ABR
respectively). It pads a frame to a multiple of 48 bytes and cuts them
down into pieces of 48 bytes so that they fit into the ATM cell payload.
It may be that also CRC is done before, so a CRC fielt has to be added
befor the frame is padded, but I'm not sure about that. At the receiving
side of course the frame is reassambled again. Thats is a very general
overview. How the interaction in technical terms with ATM layer works
works, sorry I've no idea about it. May be another one may it point out.

cheers

Juergen

--
A true friend stabs you in the front.  -Oscar Wilde