RE: [oc] Re: ask slashdot?

I guess I don't understand why someone would need to expose code they aren't
allowed to, just because a portion of their design is GPL'd.  Yes, if the
*interface* is something that is secret then you have some trouble, but
nothing that couldn't be fixed by another level of abstraction--an interface
to the interface.   And yes, timing issues and space might preclude this
interface to an interface.  But so what.  That is a limited case to begin
with, and people more creative than I am will probably find a way to deal
with this.

Tivo (www.tivo.com) uses the Linux kernel and some source, but they also use
a lot of proprietary source.  It is all one combined mesh.  They don't make
their proprietary source available, but the GPL source they use is
available.  No conflict.  This thing is pretty neat by the way (Tivo), and
no I am not affiliated with them.

We need a license before we put code in a publicly accessible cvs.  Perhaps
an initial license to restrict all public use until we come up with a final
license is the way to go.

opencores.org has put out a call for designers around the world to chip in
(sorry about the pun) and help out if they are interested.  perhaps a public
call to legal entities for pro bono work regarding this issue would not be a
bad idea.

--Scott