Re: [oc] Beyond Transmeta...

  There are quite a lot of bit streaming techiniques in use, look at a
delta-sigma , or the ancient MILDAP which was a 1 bit array processor
using SIMD, I think bit streaming operations is most usefull for SIMD, (
IMHO ), since it's the multiply/divide algorithms that are really hard
to do.

  For fast addition you can get O(1) addition of N bit's if you switch
to tertiary base ( -1, 0 , 1 ) .. and the log N multiplication that
follows on that. However, the conversion to binary from this format adds
log N in time complexity ( carry propagation ).

  I think you bring up the real interesting thing, which is latency !
Which tends to complicate all bright ideas.

  / regards, Lars Segerlund.