From: owner-cores@opencores.org [mailto:owner-cores@opencores.org]On
Behalf Of Damjan Lampret
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 12:21 PM
To: cores@opencores.org
Subject: Re: [oc] Legal projects that can be worked on.

Hi !

I agree that we should devote more attention to legal issues. However I'm
not expert on this subject so I can't say much - maybe there is an IP lawyer
on this list that could give some hints?

My two cents:
- I think any IP core that is not a clone and it doesn't implement a patent
is _probably_ safe
- even though PCI spec document itself is heavily protected, if you
implement PCI core I think it is ok (do you first need to buy PCI spec?)

I know that USB spec is freely available (usb forum) and implementation of
USB is not problematic. Maybe we should focus on implementations of freealy
available specs?

regards,
Damjan