From: owner-cores@opencores.org [mailto:owner-cores@opencores.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Zuk
Sent: 08 December 2001 07:52
To: cores@opencores.org
Subject: Re: [oc] Anyone using VHDL procedures with Xilinx Webpack?

Hi,

This message wasn't directed at me however I think I might be able to help
here.  The main problem is that you are performing signal assignments to
cs2n
and cs3n in two different places in the function.  This causes problems with
simulation even though the assignments are mutually exclusive in your
if..else statement (maybe someone else can give a more detailed
explanation).
You can get around this by declaring a couple of temporary variables in your
function and only performing signal assignment ONCE:

impure function PIO_register_write ( p_DA : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0);
 p_cs : integer ;   p_data : std_logic_vector (7 downto 0)  ) RETURN bit is

 VARIABLE temp_cs1n, temp_cs3n : std_logic;  -- declare some temp vars

 begin
 	DA 		<= p_DA ;
 	if (p_cs = 1) then
 		-- register is in block 1
 		temp_cs1n 	:= '0' ;	-- uses variable assignment (occurs immediately)
 		temp_cs3n	:= '1' ;
 	else
 		-- register must be in block 3
 		temp_cs1n	:= '1' ;
 		temp_cs3n	:= '0' ;
 	end if;
 	iocs16n  <= '1' ;	-- only 8 bit register transfers
 	hi_byte  <= (others => '0') ;
 	lo_byte 	<=	p_data ;
	cs1n <= temp_cs1n;	-- perform signal assignments once
	cs3n <= temp_cs3n;
 	return '1' ;
 end function PIO_register_write ;

Hope some of this helps.

~Scott
On December 7, 2001 07:48 pm, you wrote:
> Jim,
>
> here is my biggest and most complicated function to date. Most people will
> probably recognise it as a simple function to let me write a byte to an
IDE