RE: [oc] Re: Merlin Hybrid System

Hi all,

This email is not intended to enflame, or upset, just my point of view.

> The process I've envisioned certainly deserves a patent and could
> be used for a thesis as such I cannot discuss any of the technical
> details. I can say the concept is sound and will work. To do this
> project will either take the cooperation of Transmeta or a

It is my understanding that OpenCores is just that. A place to submit ideas,
concepts, and designs for work and release into the public conforming to the
GPL. When we start talking about patents and huge sums of money it seems the
idea presented is being 'shopped' on OpenCores, rather than presented to the
masses. I for one, am here to work on cores and concepts for the general
public, not to be a proposal front for contract engineering work. I would
also say we could discuss points of a vague concept to death. After all,
conceptually ideas exist for matter transporters too (star trek
transporters), but without specific details and the unwillingness to speak
in specifics, where do we go? We could agree and disagree that this is a
good idea for some time, but to what end? I'm sorry, but either I'm missed
the aim of the above statement or it just doesn't seem to fit OpenCores. To
my knowledge, we're not about patents and free design work, we're about free
IP.

> they could make a line of replacement chips suitable for insertion
> into virtualy all desktop systems installed today. I cannot understand
> why they aren't interested in taking a look at this. I guess I am not
> a good enough pitch man.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, I'm a field engineer. One of my lines is
Transmeta. To perhaps answer a question as to why, Transmeta is a cautiously
growing company. They are slowly working on the US market so as not to over
extent themselves before their infrastructure is in place. As to their
virtualization processor, I have asked about this in meetings with
Transmeta. For now, and the foreseeable future, Transmeta is unwilling to
reveal any information, even to us who are semi-internal to Transmeta, about
their virtualization, what processor really lies underneath, and what
firmware/ hardware/ techniques they are using. It is my view that Transmeta
is just too young and too cautious a company to look at such ideas at this
point. They are going strong with their current product and have a good
roadmap for the future. They are just being cautious not to outgrow their
ability to support their customers.

-rob.