Re: [oc] Newbie - How to get started?

hi'

>I am a newbie in opencores and digital design basically.
>Let me introduce myself to you.
>My name's Sani Gosali.
>I am currently pursuing my master degree in EE at USC with DSP as area of
>interest. I am also working as design engineer in one small company in LA
>area.

i am an undergraduate EE student from Indonesia. may I know what USC stands
for?

>Digital design caught my interest and I am trying to brush up my digital
>logic knowledge and get started.
>I need some advices from you guys out there how to get started, what kind
>of materials I need to read and study, etc. in order to prepare me to
>participate in these opencores projects.

you should prepare yourself with HDL design, do you have experience with
that?

>I have access to equipments and components. Also have Xilinx foundation
>series software 2.1.
>Do you think I need to purchase XESS board as well?
you have Xilinx Foundation series, it seems that you want to do FPGA-based
design.  if you want to implement the design, you should have one type of
XESS board, you should choose what type you want to have by seeing what
components the board have.  My laboratory has XSV board here.  By
implementing your design into prototyping board, you can test your design in
the real world.

have a nice day'

Hendra