Re: [oc] hardware compatibility and patent infringement

If a company suspects that you violate their patents/copyrights, regardless
if you knowingly or unknowingly violate them, they can sue you and it's up
to you to prove that you do not violate anything.

Typically they will first send you a friendly letter pointing out the
violation and ask to meet and discuss the mater. You will typically
try to convince them without going to court that you do not violate
anything, or try to negotiate a license. If you hold patents yourself
you first check if the other company might violate some of your patents
and try to make a cross license agreement. That is one of the main reasons
to get a patent on anything that is not patented yet, regardless how stupid
it might be !

rudi

PS: I'm not a legal guy, above has been my experience working in the
    industry. As usual, your actual mileage might vary ;*)