[oc] tools / platform

Hello everyone,

I have been trailing this mailing list for a while trying to get a feel for
your activities.

What sort of tools and platforms are the contributors using?

I use / used  Xilinx Foundation and Orcad at work / school, but have never
had these tools on my personal machines.  Firstly due to the high cost of
these copyrighted and copy protected tools.  Secondly, both these tools are
Windows platform applications, at least the versions I used. All my personal
machines are some variant of Unix.

Does the opencores community have any tools at its disposal for distribution
among its contributors?

I would really prefer to be able to compile / simulate at home, rather than
coding at home and then waiting for an opportunity to do verification.

I am looking forward to some challenging work as a contributor to opencores.

One last question...  Where do I get some code to start looking at ? Could
not find any on the website...

Collin