[oc] Hello from gkm

I'll take the FAQ's advice and introduce myself.

I'm Greg McGary.  I have approx 20 years experience in systems
software: OS (both embedded and UNIX kernel), programming tools
(compilers, assemblers, linkers, debuggers, etc)  I have been
an independent consultant for about 15 years, and have been heavily
engaged by Lucent/INS (nee Ascend Communications) for the past
four years.  (I will get my own domain name in a week or so and
stop using the ascend email address for freeware work).

I am the author and maintainer of GNU id-utils which is a fast
capacious indexer for source code identifiers.  It is used like an
optimized grep.  The index tells what files contain what identifiers,
so you needn't waste time looking places where you won't find
anything.  I use it all the time in conjunction with emacs compile
mode to make easily visitable lists of locations for identifiers of
interest.

I am in the midst of adding fine-grained bounds checking to gcc for C,
C++, and maybe ObjC.  I did a working implementation in 1996-97 at the
RTL level, and am now reimplementing at the
intermediate-representation (tree) level, since that's what the gcc
maintainers prefer.

I wrote and maintain remote gdb tools for Ascend routers.  I wrote a
remote gdb stub that operates over UDP/IP or serial and works on m68k
(cpu32), MIPS (r5000), i960[chj]x, PowerPC (mpc860).  I also have
unmaintained versions for i586 and a29k.

I have done ether device drivers for PCNet-32, Tulip, k82596, i82557,
QUICC, PQUICC, am79C72.

I read Hennessy & Patterson's book cover-to-cover some years ago.

I have done much UNIX kernel hacking in the distant past.

I have hacked all around gcc, binutils, gas, ld, etc.

I basically understand digital logic and can use a logic analyzer, but
my EE/hardware knowledge and experience is surely lacking.

In short, I understand machines well at the operating system software
level.  I'd be glad to help with the systems-software aspects of the
project in exchange for your indulgence and tolerance while I thrash
about and ask some stupid questions while trying to figure out the HW
side.

I am interested in general-purpose CPUs, DSPs and special-purpose
remote-access communications processors for, say, ISDN, DSL, modems,
etc.

In order to get up to speed, I need to know what skills and tools
people consider essential.  VHDL is obviously high on the list.  What
else?  Do you all operate primarily at a digital level, or is there
also some use for analog electronics background?

What about board-level design?  What are the tools and skills
necessary for that?

I was under the impression that proprietary CAD tools played a major
role in all varieties of HW (ASIC & board-level) design, so one
couldn't very well do this sort of work at home without being attached
to a large company for access to the CAD tools.

Thanks,
Greg

PS: Are the mailing lists archived?